- describes the types of methods that can be used for the evaluation of haptic devices and of systems that include haptic devices,
- specifies a procedure for the evaluation of haptic interactions by a usability walkthrough or usability test (see Annex J), and
- provides guidance on the types of methods that are appropriate for the evaluation of specific attributes of haptic systems, cross-referenced to the guidance in the relevant clauses of other International Standards (see Annexes A, B, C, D, E, F and G).
It applies to the following types of interaction:
- augmented reality - information overlaid on a real scene, e.g. vibrating belt indicating distance;
- gesture control of a device or a virtual scenario;
- unidirectional interaction such as a vibrating phone or a vibrating belt;
- virtual environment - virtual space with which a user can interact with the aid of a haptic device.
ISO 9241-940:2017 applies to the following types of devices:
- gesture sensor, e.g. video that discerns 3D hand movements, touch screens that sense 2D touches;
- kinaesthetic haptic device, e.g. desktop haptic interface;
- tactile display, e.g. vibrating phone.
ISO 9241-940:2017 is not applicable to standard input devices such as keyboards, mice or track balls.
NOTE ISO 9241‑400 covers standard input devices, and ISO 9241‑411 applies to the evaluation of input devices such as keyboards and mice.
ISO 9241-940:2017 can be used to identify the types of methods and measures for
- establishing benchmarks,
- establishing requirements for haptic interaction,
- identifying problems with haptic interaction (formative evaluation), and
- use of the criteria to establish whether a haptic system meets requirements (summative evaluation).
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2017-11
Edition: 1Number of pages: 103
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 159/SC 4 Ergonomics of human-system interaction
Buy this standard
|std 1 208||PDF + ePub|
|std 2 208||Paper|
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.93 (Confirmed)
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.