ISO/IEC TR 18120:2016 makes recommendations that are intended to build consensus on which International Standards for e-textbooks can be developed. It is a follow up to the collection of inputs from interested parties and aims to
- review the current state of the e-textbook market,
- summarize LET requirements for e-textbooks based on use cases and survey of interested parties,
- review existing data standards that are referenced by potential e-textbook standards,
- describe key terms and concepts that underpin any further discussion on e-textbook standards,
- propose a set of functionalities that will be required for e-textbook reader software,
- make recommendations for any modification to existing data standards, and
- make recommendations for any new data standards that might be needed.